22 December 2008

Weekend in Sussex

I was originally just going to leave this as a photo essay as it's been a while since I last wrote, and I'm feeling a bit rusty.

The cobblestone pull is coming along nicely, and I finished Rog's red scarf:



We spent the weekend in Sussex with Rog's sister and family, and it was lovely. We went to a pantomime on Saturday evening - I'd never been to one, and had been led to believe that I would hate it. And, it's entirely possible that i would have been unimpressed if I hadn't had an ecstatic 6-year old sitting on my lap. Maybe her enthusiasm spread to me through osmosis, or maybe the kid in me is still alive and kicking, but I had a great time. It was Cinderella but interactive. If nothing else, I now can understand the references to pantomime that used to mean nothing to me, ranging from "behind you!" to "yes you can!" These jokes will no longer go straight over my head, my blank look giving away my ignorance. I am among the initiated.

Yesterday, Simon got lots of veg from the garden, including two giant parsnips and a great many carrots, which Caroline, Lily and I chopped up, while Rog documented the whole thing, and sang us funny songs to entertain us:





Then, while all the veg and chicken were roasting, we went for a long walk. As we passed some sheep, Simon told me that the people at the local farm would be happy to give me a goat or sheep pelt, and I had to explain to him that so far as I can ascertain, it takes about 7 to 10 years of knitting for the yen to spin to arise and from there the desire to have the pelts and eventually you just need a goat / sheep farm. I think I've only been knitting for five or six years? I can't exactly remember. So in another few years, I may be taking him up on that pelt offer...







I even wore hiking boots as it was muddy and slippy, though also lovely and mild. Luckily, Caroline has the same size feet as me. The pictures of the landscape don't even begin to do it justice.

When we got back, everything was ready, and we had a delicious christmas lunch. I ate so much that I haven't had to eat anything but a yogurt since! Just the way a christmas lunch should be, don't you think?

4 comments:

Hoxton said...

Great pictures! The scarf really suits Rog. Glad you enjoyed the panto - definitely something you have to see to understand. I've tried explaining it to people before and it only confirmed their image of Britons as complete nutters...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your weekend was a perfect start to the holidays. Totally cosy! I'm with you on the spinning btw...have no inclination whatsoever to try it yet!

Anonymous said...

I hope Rog likes the scarf - it looks great! I have never been to a panto yet - thankfully I don't have any kids in my life to encourage me!! I've been knitting for about 4 or 5 years and just learnt to spin (never thought I would want to), but I think the urge to possess a whole fleece is still quite some time off...

At Home Mommy Knits said...

What a wondeful weekend!

That red scarf is beautiful...looks very warm and christmassy :).